Rhubarb Waffles Recipe with Rhubarb Sauce, These light and crispy rhubarb waffles are made with whole-wheat flour and egg whites and topped with a sweet and tangy rhubarb sauce. If there’s any sauce left over, drizzle it on a scoop of frozen yogurt.
- Rhubarb Sauce
- 1¼ pounds rhubarb, trimmed and diced ( ¼ inch), about 5 cups
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1¼ cups nonfat milk
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Preparation (30 min)
- To prepare sauce: Combine rhubarb and 1½ cups sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook until the rhubarb is tender and translucent. Transfer about 1 cup of the rhubarb to a small bowl with a slotted spoon, and reserve for the waffle batter. Boil the remaining rhubarb in syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- To prepare waffles: Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until frothy. Whisk in milk and oil. Stir in the reserved 1 cup cooked rhubarb. Sift all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Gently stir the dry ingredients into the egg-milk mixture just until moistened.
- Preheat a waffle iron. (If your waffle iron is not nonstick, brush it lightly with oil.) Fill the iron about two-thirds full. Close and cook the waffles until they are nicely browned, about 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, coating the waffle iron lightly with oil, if necessary, before cooking each batch. Serve hot, topped with the rhubarb sauce.
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce (Step 1) can be prepared ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature or heat before serving.
- Equipment: Waffle iron
- Per serving: 434 calories;4 g fat(0 g sat); 3 g fiber; 93 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 103 mcg folate; 1 mg cholesterol; 60 g sugars; 57 g added sugars; 112 IU vitamin A; 8 mg vitamin C; 207 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 426 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Calcium (21% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 6
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat